We’re Hiring a New Manager
Job Term: Full Time
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, + benefits
Application Deadline: Wednesday, February 20, 2018
Please submit your resume and covering letter by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hugh’s Room Live is a not-for-profit organization created in 2017 to re-establish a much loved and valued music venue in Toronto. The original club, which closed January 2017, was a unique listening/dining venue, and had operated in the city for more than fifteen years showcasing music industry legends and young artist in a very special atmosphere that was cherished by both fans and musicians.
A group of volunteers headed by a dedicated Board under Chair Brian Iler established a new organization and opened Hugh’s Room Live last April. The board is committed to securing a strong future for Hugh’s Room Live. The club operates year long, up to seven days a week during the busiest weeks and employs 25 full and part time staff.
Hugh’s Room Live is committed to a policy of equity and inclusion. We are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities and will work with applicants to meet their needs during all parts of the hiring process. Please notify us of any special needs in advance.
The Board of Directors of Hugh’s Room Live.
The Manager is responsible for the facilities operations including the office, sales and ticketing of events, artist liaison and support, finances, supervision of restaurant and bar service, staffing, site maintenance and upgrades and building patron relationships. The Manager participates in planning for the Club and sets the tone and direction of the venue operations office, and works closely with the Board of Hugh’s Room Live, its subcommittees and the head of programming.
- Participate with the Board in developing HRL’s vision and strategic plan.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal/external issues that affect HRL.
- Advise the Board on all aspects of HRL’s activities and operations.
- Foster team work between the Manager, the Board and the staff.
Operational planning and management
- Develop a strategically sound operational plan.
- Draft policies for the approval of the Board.
- Prepare procedures to implement HRL policies.
- Review policies on an annual basis and recommend changes, if needed, to the Board.
- Oversee the effective operation of the food and beverage operation.
- Develops, oversees and manages rental business ‑ events and private parties
- Liaise/co‑ordinate with the Board’s Committee Chairs.
- Liaise/co‑ordinate with and support the Chef.
- Liaise/co‑ordinate with and support the Music Programmer who is responsible for contracting with performers, developing communications and promotion, and who reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that the operation of HRL meets the expectations of patrons, staff, and performers.
- Ensure that personnel, patron, donor and volunteer files are secure, private and confidential.
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements.
- Develop job descriptions for all staff.
- Recruit, interview and hire staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further HRL’s mission.
- Provide appropriate training.
- Establish and implement human resources policies, procedures and practices.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
- Implement bi-annual performance reviews for all staff.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques.
- Release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures.
Financial planning and management
- Work with staff, the Board and the Finance Committee to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of HRL.
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board.
- Administer HRL funds according to the approved budget.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Monitor the cash flow of HRL.
- Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on revenue, expenditure and cash flow.
- Ensure that HRL complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to HRL’s people (patrons, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image.
- Implement measures to control risks.
- Ensure that the Board and HRL carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage.
Skills and Experience
- The manager should have a university/college degree or certificate, or equivalent experience and training in the field of restaurant management, operations, and financial management.
- The manager should have a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in a similar role to effectively fulfill the functions of this position. Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic are imperative to success, as well as excellent time management, planning and organizational skills, a demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and a proven track record in customer service. Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively is a key
- The manager should have general familiarity with the entertainment industry
- The successful candidate will be required to engage with Board members, staff, guests, visiting musicians and their management, and media. The manager should have advanced interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain a professional and positive image in addition to the ability to work with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint), TouchBistro, ShoWare, QuickBooks are required.
- While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.